Main Location of Vampyr is the London of 1918. The great war is just over, the government struggles to build up the country and the Spanish Flu is spreading rapidly in this time of conflict. Mentioned in DONTNOD's Webseries: DONTNOD Presents Vampyr Episode 2 - Architects of the Obscure are Whitechapel, East End Docks, West End and the Poplar Hospital, where player character Jonathan E. Reid works as a surgeon.
- 1 Health Status
- 2 Map
- 3 Pembroke Hospital
- 4 Whitechapel
- 5 Southwark
- 6 The Docks
- 7 West End
- 8 Notes
Each location has a "health status" (see "Citizen Menu") which should be kept in a balanced state. Players can check citizens for their health and create medical treatments to heal them. Jonathan should rest so this can take effect and updates the status.
There are 6 possible states:
→ To embrace certain citizens can change this status. Some are the pillars of a citizen circle and often part of crucial quests.
→ The worst case is "District Lost", which occurs when the critical threshold has been exceeded. This district is then unstable and will more and more descend into chaos. Quests can be lost this way due to missing Citizens. More dangerous enemies will appear.
Here comes a roughly map of each locations.
- Dr Strickland's and Dr Ackroyd's Office
- Dr Reid's Office
- Dr Edgar Swansea's Office
- Poplar Sewers
- Old Morgue
PEMBROKE HOSPITAL CLOSED DUE TO LACK OF HYGIENE!
- For months, the Pembrok Hospital remained the only steadfast medical
- facility in the East End of London. This morning, the building irreversibly
- closed its doors. Local authorities, following a formal assessment of extreme
- squalor, ordered the facility shutdown. It seems the hospital helped the
- spread of disease.
- The Pembroke administration has yet to issue an official statement, but the
- extremely low number of people who left the hospital in good health during
- the last weeks corroborates the theory of mistreatment, and poor medical
- practice. With a capacity for little more than three hundred, some more
- dead than alive, shoehorned into the rooms and even corridors of the hospital!
- Several honourable physicians had criticized the establishment prior to this
- catastrophe for the opacity of its financing arrangements. It is recommended,
- should you want to maintain your physical well being, to seek medical help
- with proven professionals elsewhere.
- Disclaimer: today's New Londoner article was replaced by a contribution
- from our special reporter Solomon L. Anthelm. Your usual E.W. column will
- resume once redacted according to the regulations in effect.
THE FALL OF WHITECHAPEL IS OUR FALL
- You, with enough money to buy this paper, enough contempt to scoff at the
- title of this article, yet enough curiosity to read it anyway, should be informed
- about the truth of the so-called news you read in the press of London.
- Last night the Whitechapel district was evacuated following an abrupt rise in
- mortality rates. Thousands of inhabitants were hastily relocated, filling
- hospitals and wards that were already overflowing with terminally ill
- families, many in bad health, and most of them fearful after days and nights
- of silent terror. Will you read about this catastrophe elsewhere? No. Am I
- allowed to write about it? Even less so. Journalists are gagged, silenced,
- forbidden to raise awareness about the horror that dances before our very
- Hear me: London is falling. Protect yourself and your loved ones from this
- sickness, but do not close your eyes to it. It is here, and its thirst craves young
- and old, rich, and poor.
- Many thanks to my colleagues (whose names I will keep private for their own
- safety) who helped me bypass the censorship that is the true plague of
- London. I assume full responsibility for this publication and beg the
- authorities to end their insane control.
Jonathan starts his adventure here.
NO NEWS FROM THE EAST END DOCKS:
- No, this catastrophe is no surprise! Since 2 am today, the Docks of the East
- End are officially segregated. The police report stated that 'A sudden
- escalation in violence have forced the authorities to isolate the area.'
- Inhabitants were evacuated to temporary shelters.
- Since then, local authorities, and Scotland Yard have been juggling their
- responsibilities in this event: was it the fault of the gangs that bled out of the
- district, unopposed, or the rumoured madmen that killed the inhabitants,
- uncaught? No, it wasn't. Those who say this came off as a surprise are liars,
- blind men with the judgment of children. It wasn't the gangs: they have been
- part of our city for so long that crime is part of day-to-day life here. It wasn't a
- serial murderer: our physicians refuted the idea, identifying causes of death
- that ranged from old age and sickness, to homicide. No, it wasn't a single
- specific culprit, despite your hopes. It was you. Me. Everyone. Everyone
- foresaw this fall, and now, cowards that we are, we pretend to be astonished
- when faced with the inevitable. It is we, who did nothing, who should repent.
- My thoughts go to friends, my neighbours, and to strangers alike. May you
- find your loved ones safe and well.
THE WEST END AFLAME!
- As I write these lines, the heart of London has stopped beating. This morning
- at 3 am, police forces organized the evacuation of thousands of residents,
- insisting on the urgent nature of the situation. Thieves and freaks having been
- driven mad with the fever were flooding our streets. Our forces were too few,
- and their crazed malice was too great! We are spread thin across London,
- and it is from a barricaded shelter that I write this dire report.
- What overran our beloved city? Was it the plague? That rumoured illness
- coming from the most forsaken parts of town. Or was it the Lord himself,
- telling us to flee a London that had become too corrupted, too unfaithful?
- Either way, our homes have burned, and nothing remains. Aloysius Dawson's
- vision of the West End kept safe from the fiery menaces of outer London was
- proven right. A wall was the only thing that might have kept us from such
- violence! But it's too late, now. So here we are, crying over lost children,
- siblings, and parents. Forced to wait for some sign of sanity, while surrounded
- by lunacy and anarchy! The West End has fallen. How can the country survive
- this stragedy?
- Now called Pembroke Hospital